Thursday, May 9, 2013

Reply to Senate Bill 1907

Tamera you wrote an excellent blog; you informed readers very well about the bill, gave insights on what the senate is doing about the Senate Bill 1907, and you also gave your opinion. In my view I disagree with Tamara’s opinion on the Senate Bill 1907 because I believe there is no need for students to carry guns on campus; I believe that the professor’s and faculty members should be the ones allowed to have guns on campus.  With all these shootings occurring schools are at high risk; if this bill is passed it is going to put schools at greater danger. I am not against guns nor I am for them; I do believe guns are necessary for our own protection. I think we all have the right to exercise the 2nd amendment if we ever find ourselves in threatening situations.
Who knows maybe this bill will help college campuses be safer, but from the things that I have seen now shows otherwise.  One of the reasons why I oppose this bill is because I believe that there are some students that are not mature enough to carry a gun; anyone can take the class, study, and pass the state license exam. How do we know that person is not going to use the gun for harm at school? I don’t think students are mature enough because of what I experienced at work and at school; two young college students I say about 20-22 year olds got into a heated argument and one of them threatened to take his gun out and shoot him, another incident was at school.  I attend Austin Community College and I am also a student at Texas State University; Texas State police sent out an email to everyone the other day about an incident that occurred involving a gun on campus. Evidently a male around his early 20’s pointed an AK-47 and pulled trigger but the gun did not fire, thank goodness.  This just shows that there are some students that are not capable of having gun, even if they have a permit.
How will this make other students feel knowing that their classmate has a gun in their car? I don’t know about you but knowing that a classmate has a gun doesn’t make me feel safe.  
I think there is definitely a lot of thinking that needs to be done with regards to the Senate Bill 1907 or any gun related law, because it’s our safety that is being put on the edge.

No comments: